Saturday, August 4, 2012

It's Tax Season - Time to Be Aware of Identity Thieves

No.1 Article of Irs 1040 Es

Well, it's that time of year again... Tax time. I could tell because I received one of the first of many phishing emails supposedly from the Irs telling me that I had a refund due. While you and I are dreading and worrying about our 1040's, identity theft scammers are gleefully seeing send to taking benefit of all our fear and greed in order to steal our underground information.

Scammers regularly don the identity of the Internal revenue assistance in an attempt to convince us taxpayers that anyone email we are receiving is an "official" transportation from the Irs. When we open the email, the identity theft thief tries to trick us into revealing all our personal and financial information. They will try to get our reputation card and bank account numbers, our passwords, or our collective security numbers. Of course, with this information, these thieves will use this personal data to steal from our financial accounts, rack up charges on our reputation cards, or open new loans among numerous other abuses of our personal data.

Irs 1040 Es

I did not open the email I received because I knew that it was just a phishing attempt to get my personal information. Basically, phishing is a term which defines a fraudulent email scam enticing the recipient to publish confidential information. Phishing emails often target the elderly or Esl speakers because they are more apt to be scared (or excited) into doing what is being asked. Sophisticated phishing emails look very "official" and can oft times mimic the actual site so it is very difficult to tell if you are not aware.

It's Tax Season - Time to Be Aware of Identity Thieves

Even though I did not open the email, I knew what would be in it. It would whether say that my refund was waiting for me and to send them personal facts so that they could send it out right away; that the fastest way to collect my refund was by direct deposit and then I'd be directed to fill in my personal information, along with my bank account information; or that there was a qoute with my refund and that they just needed some restorative facts prior to sending it out. They will all have a "just click here for the Irs website" button, seeing very official, with the Irs logo. Of course, if you then clicked the link, it would take you to a website that would look like it was the Irs, but in fact, would be a scam site just to capture your personal information, and soon your bank account could be emptied!

So you need to be wary of emails from the Irs. The refund scam is the most coarse scam seen by the Irs so there is a good occasion you will receive one at some time or another. I know that I probably get at least 25 bogus emails every tax season. Remember, we taxpayers do not have to faultless a extra form to collect a refund as our refunds are based on the tax return we submit to the Irs. Here's to a safe tax season!

click this It's Tax Season - Time to Be Aware of Identity Thieves



No comments:

Post a Comment